Multicultural Education A Light in a Troubled World
By now you may have heard about the loss of our wonderful executive director, Bette Tate Beaver. Accordingly we are making the following changes to our annual conference and other related issues.
- The upcoming 2021 Annual International Conference of the National Association for Multicultural Education (scheduled for November 17-21 in Anaheim, California) has been postponed until March 10-12, 2022.
- A virtual conference is being planned now.
- All proposals submitted for the 2021 conference will be reviewed. Lead presenters will be informed of the results of the review.
- Revised deadlines for award nominations will be announced soon.
- Elections that were scheduled to take place in 2021 have also been postponed until 2022.
A global pandemic, social distancing, inequitable vaccine availability, a threat to democracy by domestic insurrection, public school funding for special education and other equity-focused programs in jeopardy, teaching and learning via zoom and other virtual platforms leaving many of us feeling alone and isolated…. The world is indeed troubled. Multicultural education is a beacon of light and hope for students, educators, families and communities alike through its commitment to social justice and culturally inclusive and unifying practices that pave the path to a brighter and more just future.
As we move toward living in places of peace and justice, NAME and our friends and allies encourage conversations about possible ways to address the inequities and systems that stand in the way of progress.
But, due to unexpected circumstances, NAME and our 2021 Conference Committee find it necessary to cancel the Anaheim conference.
NAME and 2021 NAME Conference Chair, Ludwig van Broekhuizen and NAME leaders are currently planning a VIRTUAL CONFERENCE for Spring 2022, to bring together educators, community activists and change agents for to help re-charge our dedication to multicultural education. All proposals submitted for the Anaheim conference will be considered for the virtual conference. Lead presenters will be contacted, as per usual.
Watch this space for details on the 2022 Virtual NAME Conference.
Please be well and safe.